Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Umpqua Strong

What a crazy week this has been. I'm sure that by now you know exactly what happened at the college here. Just know that I was safe and all the other missionaries and ward members were too.  It's amazing to know that after such a terrible tragedy, we can hear the words of the prophet and his apostles to give us comfort and peace. With all that being said, this week has been incredibly difficult but also so SO spiritually fulfilling.

We've had some struggles this week. We have an investigator who was supposed to be baptized on the 10th but looks like he might not get baptized at all. Some investigating families are on the verge of falling apart. One of our a recent converts just doesn't understand anything about the Gospel. Another recent convert keeps getting her home broken into and taken advantage of, but can't move. And, we have a ward that doesn't seem to care about missionary work (the other Elders had a baptism last Friday and none of the bishopric showed up and didn't announce it in church or anything). Top that stuff off with a horrific tragedy that put this small community in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons and you can see why this week has been so challenging and hard.  I've spent many long nights on my knees to know what I can do to help, and what I'm doing or not doing that is making things so difficult.

Thank goodness for General Conference! Really, what a blessing it is to be able to hear the words of men and women called of God for us today. I have a firm testimony and conviction that the prophet, apostles and all the other church leaders are called to bear witness of Jesus Christ's restored Gospel on earth.

My favorite addresses were from Elder Dallin H. Oaks, Elder James B. Martino, Sister Neill F. Marriott and Elder Allen D. Haynie. From these speakers I really, truly gained a greater understanding of the love that Christ has for us, and just how amazing and beautiful the Atonement is in our lives. I also loved the new apostles testimonies, especially Elder Renlund's. They are going to be amazing servants of the Lord. I enjoyed all the speakers of course but I loved the themes of women in the church, prophets and apostles being called of God, the Atonement, and personal growth and conversion. This conference was just what I needed. I took like 10 pages of notes! I really felt my desire and eagerness for spreading the Gospel increase. Even though this week has, in short, really sucked, I'm looking forward to the weeks ahead and the work I get to do.

We also ate a fancy restaurant this week. I had lobster scampi. It was amazing. I miss actual good cuisine.

Love you all so much. Talk to you soon!

Elder Jensen


We love Amazon Pantry!!





No comments:

Post a Comment