Monday, August 24, 2015

My Friend Coleman

Many of you know that Chase's good friend Coleman Treadwell was involved in a serious accident on Thursday, August 20th. After Chase heard the news he had some thoughts he wanted to share with Coleman and the Treadwell's and he said we could also post it here on the blog.

I'll never forget the last time that I saw Coleman Treadwell before I left on my mission. It was Sunday the 12th of July. A few of the SBOs that were still around decided to get together one last time before we parted ways. I remember a feeling of overwhelming love and appreciation for the friendships I had made during high school, and that feeling reached its pinnacle when I said my goodbyes to Coleman. I remember the deep connection we had forged and when I said "I love you man" I meant it with all the sincerity and truth that a friend could offer. I told Coleman that he was going to do many great things and would help and inspire so many people. I believe that with all my heart.
One of the most impactful things Coleman ever said to me was that in the 8th grade he remembered that I went up to him and, without knowing him at all, acted like we were the best of friends. He told me that meant a lot to him and inspired him to be the best type of friend he could be. He absolutely reached that goal and beyond. Coleman is one of the most Christlike individuals that I know. Besides his extremely gifted mind, amazing musical talents, and lust for life, Coleman has a gift that I hope to be able to one day exemplify, and that is his way to connect with people and make them feel important. As we went through senior year together, Coleman was the empathizer; he always would go out of his way to help anyone in need no matter the circumstance. I remember the two of us had lunch with a member of the special needs class and Coleman made it his goal to make this boy feel loved and listened to. Not only did Coleman turn outward to his fellow students, he also turned outward to help me more than I can explain. Coleman was one of first people I felt comfortable telling my problems and concerns. There isn't a man that I would want to have a heart-to-heart with more than Coleman Treadwell. We were both two kids just trying to figure ourselves and the world out, and we connected with a bond that transcended just being officers on a student council. We were, we ARE brothers, and I love Coleman with every ounce of feeling I have. 
I first heard of his accident on the night of August 23rd when my mission president called me to alert me to the news. As he told me of what had happened, my heart sank. I thought to myself as I hung up the phone, "How could this happen to such an amazing person with so much to offer the world?" As I thought this, a feeling came to my heart that gave me comfort, and that is what I want to share. 
God is good. 
In life, we aren't going to understand the things that happen to us. There's no way that we can. Our minds cannot comprehend the infinite complexities of God's plan for us. But God doesn't leave us comfortless. God has made us promises that with faith, prayer, and hope, nothing is impossible before us. To quote D&C 122: 9 "Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever." 
When things happen in our life that cause us pain or misery, remember always that God is there for us. Christ tells us in John 14 that "I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you." We have to hold on our way. Hold on to hope, hold on to prayer, and hold on to the knowledge that God is going to bless those that come unto him. 
I know that Coleman is going to be an example to everyone. He's the toughest man I know, and if anyone can pull through, it's him. Coleman, when you read this, let me tell you that I love you, so much. You've been in my prayers long before the accident and you're still in them now. Never. Give. Up. You taught me that there is always going to be something good to look for, and always someone to uplift. I hope I can do that now. I love you, and want you to know that no distance can separate our bond. You've got this. 
To the Treadwell family, you are in my thoughts and prayers continually. You've been nothing but amazing to me over the past year and I cannot begin to thank you for everything. 
To all of our friends back home, keep sending your prayers to Coleman and his family. Be comforted in knowing that God works miracles among his children. The love and support that has been shown already is outstanding, and there has been an outpouring of blessings and miracles. Please stay strong. Hold on thy way, and remember that through faith, "nothing shall be impossible unto you."


Adam, Coleman and Chase
Dear Old Davis High School 

No comments:

Post a Comment